Stretching before and after a workout is often overlooked and deemed unimportant, when it’s actually the complete opposite. I always stretch before and after a workout and I feel like that’s what helped me avoid injury and reach my fitness goals faster. Here are some reasons why I think everyone should incorporate stretching into their fitness routine.
1. It reduces muscle tension before a workout, and makes your body feel more relaxed.
2. When done consistency, stretching helps to increase your range of motion. The more you stretch, the more flexible and less prone to injury you will become.
3. It helps to prevent muscle strains during a workout. A pre-stretched muscle can resist stress much better than an un-stretched muscle.
4. It helps to prevent joint strains during strenuous exercise.
5. It can help to reduce your risk of having back problems.
6. It prepares your body for a hardcore workout.
7. It helps to increase ‘body awareness’ and calms your mind.
8. It promotes good blood circulation in your muscles.
9. It can help to reduce menstrual pain in women.
10. It reduces muscle soreness after exercise and helps you recover faster.
So tell me – do you stretch religiously like I do? If not, did the reasons above help to persuade you to try it out? Let me know in the comments section below!